Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Race Report: XTERRA Southeastern Championship

Well it's been a few days since the race so I've had some time to look back and think. I've also had time to forget. Always a nice thing of endurance racing. I raced hard, it could have been better, but it always could have been better. The swim was pretty good; I came out about 50 yards behind the first guy in my age group. Somehow, I made it out of transition faster than he did though because I saw him on the road before we ever hit the trail. So, the race was on. If I was going to beat this guy, then I had to do it on the bike. I knew the course and hopefully he did not. There was a pack of three riders on the trail together. Pro Matt Boobar was leading the pack, next was Michael Keith, my competitor, and then me. Keith found a way around Boobar at a spot on the trail. I was still behind. I couldn't get around and Keith was taking off. I finally found a spot to pass and laid down the hammer. Too much I guess because I took a corner too hot and slid off the trail a little bit. I allowed Boobar and another rider to pass me as I remounted my bike and got back on the trail. Now I had some time to make up, but there is still a lot of racing left to do. That's what I kept telling myself. I got to the fire road climb and started picking people off one by one. I made it to the top of the mountain successfully and was ready to take the plunge down Blood Rock and the rest of the mountain. I passed two more people struggling through Blood Rock and a switch back before I aced it! Score! Now the the white knuckle, death grip, downhill bombing. I cut both of my thumbs on my shifters because my hands were bouncing around so much.

Boobar climbed better than I did, but I caught him again on the last 6 miles of trail. I was on his wheel for bit before he let me pass, at which point I hopped over a log and dropped my chain due to some front derailleur issues/ bad timing. I came off my bike and Boobar went back in front. About 1.5 miles later when I caught back up with him, I hollered "I sure do know how to yo-yo," as I passed for the third time. I came hauling into T2, but I never passed Keith again. I was told I was in first in my age group, but I disagreed. I started out on the run hard. I was feeling pretty decent for the first 2 to 2.5  miles. Boobar caught up with me around 1.75 and never looked back. He told me that an athlete crashed around Blood Rock. I was beginning to think this was Keith. I felt a little better about myself. That feeling was quickly replaced as I got to the first death climb. It was walking time. It was the better race strategy: don't blow up on this and run hard at the end around the lake. It never got any better though. I met up with Blake Voges the soon to be winner of the 25-29 age group. We stayed together and encouraged each other for a bit. I kept having the fear that Keith was going to be right over my shoulder though and it would have all been for nothing. I had to keep pushing on. It was really hot. It was really hurting. I knew I was really giving it out there when all I wanted to do was lay down on the side of the trail for an hour or so and then walk the rest of the way in. I never stopped though. I kept moving. Some, okay a decent amount was walking and I finished with a longer run split than I posted in '07 when the course was "harder" and supposedly longer. It was rough.

I finished and knew that I had not won. I could just tell. Keith had not crashed. Seth Wealing had and pulled out of the race. Keith left T2 before I ever got there; my spotter just missed it. So I got second in my age group, 11th amateur, and 29th overall. Results I was pretty disappointed at first and am still not really satisfied, but I have accepted it. Keith is a great athlete and if I had to lose, he was a worthy competitor to lose too. I talked with him after awards and found out he just moved here from South Africa on a student visa so he could race in America. He won the Xterra World Championships in Maui last year in his age group. So, I guess he is pretty good. He was a nice guy too. Glad I met him. South Africa went 1-2 in the pro race and Keith wrapped up 3rd amateur for the 1-2-3 for RSA.

On another note, I did win something that weekend. I won an Xterra Wetsuit Transition bag by winning the post race push-up contest. We went on the director's count and I racked out 59. Two more than any one else. Keith was also in the competition. Not to brag or be an ass, but I was not going to lose that competition. Not to Keith. I wasn't going to lose to him again. Around 35 to 40 I looked over at him and gave him "the look back," challenging him to go the distance with me. After a few reps of staring at him, I went back to ground and continued on to victory. It kinda made me feel like a badass for a few minutes there. Then I remembered he still one and I was only going to have 90 points from the championship race.

Oh well, another month, another state, another race, another day. Live On, Live More, Ride Hard






You can find the rest of the photos on my facebook here: race photos

No comments:

Post a Comment