Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Back on the Horse

It's been a while since I've ridden my mountain bike. She has been neglected since the Southeastern race: over three weeks! However, it was a great time riding Azriel today. I also tried something new. I road with 5 fewer pounds of pressure in the tires than I ever have. It was pretty weird at first. It felt really squishy, but I was really digging it by the end of the third lap. Not sure if it was my time away from the trail, or if the lower pressure actually made me faster. Either way, there were times it felt like I was flying through there. Definitely, will stick to this pressure on future rides and see if my times improve; cornering felt a little more stable too, but then again I didn't push it too hard, i.e. I didn't crash.

I will note that I might have been poisoning myself on the ride just in case I get sick later tonight. The camelbak I took with me had been just as neglected as Azriel. I hadn't touched it since I brought it home from the race in Alabama. It was still sealed up with the remaining HEED I drank that day. I didn't see any large spots of mold in it, but for good measure I rinsed it out a few times and then put some bleach in there. After shaking that around for a minute, I began rinsing it out again. I don't know if it was the stagnant condition, mold in the bladder or bite valve, or too much bleach left in the bag, but it tasted pretty funky. I didn't care though. It was cold water and it was hot. My clothes were soaked and after three refills and a Powerade I still didn't have to pee.

And as always, I take note of the animals I see. I can't help it; if I see a snake on the trail, then I always get off and play with it for a bit. I saw two turtles in the middle of the trail too. The second one was as I was coming around a corner and had to pull some quick maneuvering skills to avoid him and not crash. On my "run" I saw a rotten out turtle shell and eventually a tick. The tick was lodge into my right thigh. I let him get his fill while I traveled back home, then I roasted him and picked his dead body off with some tweezers .

After the great training I fired up the grill and made some dinner. Uber success. The grilled squash and zucchini brushed with extra virgin olive oil, season salt, and fresh crushed pepper was amazing. The fish was pretty good too.


After I fried him with the lighter. Hair was collateral damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment