Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I like the head wind

Heat acclimatization put up a great fight today, and finally got me to cramp in the last 15 minutes of the 3 hour ride. I had run out of water at this point though. In the end, I made it my bitch.

After a relaxing morning, I settled into the saddle around 12:30 for some warm training. I need to be able to ride and race in the heat and this seemed like the best time. The winds and travelling over 19 mph really helped keep my body cool. By the end, it wasn't helping enough though. It was getting hot. But like I said earlier, "Today, I will get tan lines. If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count. Should be fun" Well, it counted. My legs still feel weak and shaky. It's a great feeling I haven't had in a while. I also accomplished the tan line mission. It takes hard work to look that good. 


I also found out that the fire station is not the best place to stop and refill on water. They were pretty unwelcoming and never said a word to me, just stared. I think I'll stick to stopping by churches where they asked me to come inside and cool off and drink from the fountain. It was a nice break. 


A ride is never complete without some encounters with nature. I love when bright, blue finches fly in front of me. It's fun to follow their colors through the trees. I also saw a large hawk gliding and blue bird. The snake was most fun though. Doing a second lap on a road, I noticed something black laying across my pathway. After entertaining me for a bit, he finally dashed off into the shrubs before I could take his picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment