Sunday, May 10, 2015

Moving and Starting Work

When I came back from Colombia, I began desperately looking for housing in Calhoun where I would be working. It was a lot harder to find apartments than I have ever encountered.

My girlfriend vehemently vetoed several places saying she would never visit if I decided to live in such an establishment. Well, I finally thought I had found something. It was a big, two bedroom townhouse, with large living room and kitchen with eat in area and back deck. I had spoken to the agent, who I found out was an extremely good saleswoman, and felt good about the place.

So, on Monday I moved down with the help from a friend with the plans of moving everything in over the next two days and getting my new drivers license and license plate before starting work on Wednesday in a new state and at my first career job.

Well that Monday night I found out not everything was so merry. A swarm of cockroaches like I had never seen (not even in an SEC fraternity house) broke out across the kitchen and downstairs living space. I thought the problem had been fixed and reached out again to the management for help with the problem.

After several days with no resolve, I realized it was a lost cause and the best place I could find in Calhoun to rent was still not inhabitable for a medical professional. I fought with the landlords for several days to break my lease and eventually signed on for a new place in Dalton, GA, the carpet capital of the world.

I found a much nicer and pest free place in Dalton that left me with just over a 30 minute daily commute to work and an 1:30 commute to residency every Tuesday morning at 7 am.

Things were beginning to work out and I was really learning how to treat patients with the most evidenced best practice based on the research that was being beaten into us during those 3 hours every Tuesday morning. It definitely made me a better clinician though.

No comments:

Post a Comment