Monday, April 11, 2011

Waning Attitudes

School is such a drag. I dread going everyday...the whole two days a week I have class.....and when I actually go to all my classes. I am just completely over it. My classes are stupid easy and completely pointless. Honestly, I would probably go even less if it wasn't for the workouts I do before class. I swim and lift weights Monday and Wednesday and these workouts fit perfectly into my schedule right before classes start.

I think back to how I started college, and then back to how I started high school. Freshmen year of high school I was reluctant to play sports because I didn't think I'd have enough time left to do all my homework. I did sports and it along with all the homework pretty much became my life. I read every book, the unabridged versions (and I read very slowly). I did all my homework on time and did every problem, even if they weren't graded. I aced all of my test and had a 4.0. As high school went on, I slacked some, but I still took all the hardest classes. I did the homework and class work I needed to get by and do well on the test. I didn't sit at the kitchen table doing homework every night. I went out more often and was hardly bothered down by school. I still kept a 4.0 throughout high school and graduated with 30 hours of college credit from the AP classes I had taken. I still worked hard, I had just learned to play harder. I would skip out on lunch and my break period sometimes to go run through Germantown and lift weights: showering in the locker rooms before heading to 5th period. Becraft and I skipped some calculus classes when we had to run home and get stuff or do other errands. I also left sixth period early sometimes when we weren't doing anything in English so I could go to Prairie Life and lift weights or swim before going to work at 3:30 at Carrabba's. My die hard attitude of being perfect in school had died.

I recall as I went off to Colorado for Freshmen year of college, I was back to working hard. I was doing all my homework and trying my best to get a 4.0 in these college classes. I wasn't going out or drinking in the beginning, but that was mostly because I was focusing on Xterra Nationals that I had coming up shortly. I still stayed on top of my game after that and the few days I had left out there I enjoyed the mountains and landscape, rather than partying on Market Street or the frat houses. Changing over to UT was a little different. I was pledging a fraternity, but I still stayed hardcore about school. I made a 4.0 while taking 3 math classes one of which was on the junior level and got me qualified for a scholarship. Sophomore year I partied. Sophomore year was probably the year I partied the most. And looking back on it now if I could do it again......I'd party even more, go to more mixers/date parties, more booze fest with the brothers, and more weeknights out at the bars. It was an AWESOME time. It was fleeting though. The next year the fraternity house shut down and we all moved our separate ways. We still got together and partied, but it just wasn't the same. Junior year I started to not care as much about my grades. I was no longer set on maintaining a 4.0 GPA. I just wanted to get B's in my math classes and be done with my major. (Upper level math classes were the only classes I didn't make A's in and I still finished with an overall GPA of 3.79. One tenth off from Summa Cum Laude.) I skipped a lot of classes, sometimes just to sleep. Other times were to go play in the park or eat sushi buffet. Now that I'm in senior year, it's a complete joke. I hardly ever do any homework outside of school and give little thought to classes. Like I said I go more for the gym membership than the education. Overall, it is really easy to see how my attitude and behaviors change and decline as school progresses. They usually pick back up with the start of a new term or year or level of school, such as college and hopefully graduate school. But still by the end, I am just over it. Get us out and let us move on to the next thing.

I'm moving on to the next thing this August as I start physical therapy school at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. This should be fun. I finally get to take classes and learn about stuff I really care about and am interested in. I think my attitude and interest in studies will pick back up just like it did at the beginning of college. And maybe by the time it's sliding off, it will be my third year of school and we won't be having any more classes, just clinical internships. Either way three years is a shorter time and it always goes by fast.

Today I skipped out on three classes. I should be in econ right now where I have homework due. I just slipped it under his door at 11:30 before I left campus. I only have 5 more days of undergraduate schooling left. I can make it, but I sure don't want to go. I'd rather be working at the bike shop or training for my upcoming races. That's where my heart really is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment