Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bricking It

After a long day of doing inventory at the store today, I finally got around to a workout. I figured I wouldn't be done with inventory until after 6 which wouldn't leave me enough time to ride. I figured I would just do a run after work and then get ready for the week. (I have a research paper due this Wednesday and a yoga paper to write. I haven't started either, but thankfully after this my year is pretty much done. All I will have to do is show up to class and things should take care of themselves.) But since it was such a nice day and I saw so many people out working out on my drive home, I decided I would do a brick workout. A brick is a common workout done by triathletes which involves a bike ride immediately followed by a run. This helps train the leg muscles and gets them accustomed to running off  the bike like you would in the race. So I rode my tri bike around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes. The handling is already feeling better and it still feels super fast when I'm down in the aero position. I did a little speed work that topped me out at 36 mph and averaged 20.3 for the 10.6 miles. I then hopped off and put on my Merrell Trail Gloves. I went for another mile run in them around the block. I guess I am getting better because they didn't hurt my calves as much. Some parts of the run felt really slow and hard, but I guess that was because I had been flying around the streets at 25 mph. The mile ended up being a 6:27 mile. That feels pretty good to be running that fast off the bike this early. It also puts my weekly training time at 9.5 hours. That's a pretty good amount for this early in the season and what I'm training for, so I'm proud and happy with that. Looking forward to the races in May and hopefully a sweet, new carbon bike to be racing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment