Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Falling In Love All Over Again



It has been a while since I've been out on a good road ride. Somewhat due to winter weather, winter fattening up (or periodization depending on how you want to look at it), but mostly because I have not had a complete bike in a long time. I cracked my road frame a while back and Specialized quickly got on the ball to warrantying it and sending me a new frame set. The new bike is awesome by the way; stiffer and better looking than the SL2 and with a tapered headtube. Thanks for the hookup Specialized. Getting the new frame, I decided I should get some new components since I was still using the original from 2007. I decided to go with a Sram Red and Force mix. I've made the leap and am never looking back. This stuff is awesome! However, Sram is back-ordered on the brakeset and the cassettes so that put another kink in the mix. Thankfully, I have some good friends that have let me borrow those parts so I can get back out on the road.

Today was shaping up for the perfect day for a ride. It was my first true day off in over two weeks, the weather was in the mid 50's, light breeze, warm sunshine, and I just got my new Speedplay pedals to complete the bike and make it rideable again. After sleeping in for a while and then getting up and having coffee with my grandparents for a while, I was ready for my comeback ride (It's been since November that I can remember getting out and having a good road ride). The ride was AMAZING, pure and simple. I loved the new pedals and the way they felt while hammering down the road. The new PI tri fly III's performed awesome too. They were super stiff and very breathable, maybe too much on this windy, chilly day. The Tarmac Pro SL3 frame was very stiff and responsive underneath me. The new components are outstanding. Sram Red is the best thing I've ever ridden. It is quiet, quick, and precise. Right on every time. I could feel the upgraded performance over my old Shimanadango stuff. But the thing I was most impressed with was my performance. Now, I'm not trying to toot my own horn and claim that I could win Saturday morning world championships, but not having ridden for such a long time and not having done a continuous workout over an hour and a half in a few months, I was very happy with my performance. I went over 57 miles in under three hours. If it wasn't for my body's response I would think that I had never quit training after Ironman last August. My glutes and pelvic girdle knew I had not ridden my hard toupe saddle in a while and definitely let me know the whole ride. Towards the end of the ride, my calves were cramping and I could feel all my hip muscles working to keep my legs rotating around the pedals. Several times my legs screamed at me for pushing hard in the big ring or trying to sprint, but it was beautiful. I felt great. I felt alive again and remembered why I loved doing this so much: the physical aspects during the ride and what it does to your body over time, the scenery on deserted country roads, the traveling to different states and towns, the wildlife (I saw vultures eating a fox on the side of the road) and the feeling that you are doing it all on your own power and drive.

After the ride I had to lay down in the floor and recover for a bit. My legs were killing me; they obviously didn't appreciate the ride as much as I had....yet. After showering and some modified stretching (some muscles were cramping and preventing stretching of others), I had some chocolate milk and a whole can of cashews. Lounged out in the recliner, I was feeling pretty good, aside from all the pain you know. I was wondering how my swim, lift, and spinning was going to go tomorrow morning, but I'm starting to feel better now and think it will be a good challenge to hit it hard again for the third day in a row tomorrow.

All in all, I remembered why I love this sport and that I completely love my new bike and its setup. I'm looking forward to training on it this summer. Wish I could do some more racing on it, but I've already dedicated myself to racing Xterra's again. It was a great day and I'm looking forward to my swim practice in the morning and fresh set of squats.

1 comment:

  1. Oh and the white/black/red shoes with the white/black/red frame with the "red" components, red speedplay pedals, white/black/red helmet, and red and black kit I felt like a badass.

    ReplyDelete