Thursday, September 12, 2013

Race Report: Velodrome Cup Pro Race Series

This past weekend was the last of the Pro Race Series at the Dick Lane Velodrome in Atlanta. I’ve enjoyed my time down there this year getting to know some really good people and learning to rail 180° turns at over 40mph. I’ve come a long way since that cold and snowy day in March when I completed my beginner track class, but I still have a lot to learn on the track.

I was fortunate enough to get upgraded to the A category for this last Pro Race which meant I got to mix it up with the big boys. (And race for big money) I wasn’t good enough to make the final podium, but I did manage to grab wins in both the 3 lap time trial and the flying 1 lap time trial. I was pleased with my times on these events as they were both PRs. The flying 1 lap time actually made the track record at 19.376s. Another plus of these results was that they let me see where I am physically going into collegiate nationals next week. I think I’m right on schedule.

I had picked out a few of the 8 races I would really try to score points in and just considered the other races as survival events, trying not to go down the rankings too far. Those targeted events (except for the timed events) didn’t exactly unfold as planned, but that’s what happens when some really fast guys show up. I knew Thomas Brown would be hard to handle, but I was thoroughly surprised and impressed by the riding of Brody Hartley who ended up winning the overall. He sure has learned and developed a lot from his time spent at T-Town this summer.

Final Podium: Brody Hartley, Thomas Brown, Steve Carrell
Standings going into the last race of the night. 

The afternoon session included the 3 lap Merckx TT (1st), a 30 lap Split-Scratch (7th), and a 60 lap Points Race (9th). The evening session, or ‘main event’ with rider introductions, included the flying 1 lap (1st), a 20 lap Reverse Snowball (3rd), a Miss-n-Out (9th), a Win-n-Out (5th), and a 1 mile Scratch Race (7th). The Points Race and the Miss-n-Out are the bane of my existence so I wasn’t expecting much there. I was expecting a little better in the Win-n-Out and the Scratch Race, but by that time of the night, my legs were pretty toast. I had already pretty much locked in my omnium position so there wasn’t much left to fight for. With those results I finished 4th in the omnium giving me my biggest cycling pay day to date.

Overall, it was a great time and fun day at the track that finished with a night out in Midtown Atlanta with some of the GA Tech boys. What a night. None of this possible without the help of Wayne Whitesides, Nathaniel Rowe, and Christian DiCenso. Thanks Guys.




I have 4 more races left this year. I registered for them today, shipped my bike out yesterday, leave for Colorado on Tuesday, and start racing one week from today. Time to finish strong. 

(Here's the link to an awesome video from the races Saturday: here)

I made the program!

Poor guy separated his shoulder

Waiting at the boards

Rider Introduction

No comments:

Post a Comment